Monday, April 7, 2008

Initial thoughts on Ultralight Gear purchases so far

I've now got all of the big stuff off of my Ultralight Gear List. On Saturday I packed it all up except for the food and took it for a 10 KM walk around the Victoria waterfront to see how it carried and how the clothes I'm going to wear felt in the cool spring coastal weather.

The Vapor Trail pack was very comfortable with the 8-9 Kg (17-19 lbs) of gear, water and fuel I had in it. The straps didn't dig in to me at any point and didn't slip or loosen as I walked. The only thing I'm a little concerned about was that all of the gear filled the pack upto the bottom of the sleeve that you roll down to close the pack. Getting 7 days worth of food in shouldn't be a problem but thinking ahead to the John Muir Trail, I've got to get a bear canister in as well. It would probably fit, but it is going to make the pack a lot taller. As it is now, the pack goes from the small of back to the top of my shoulders. I had the OR hat on and the back brim of it was only hitting the top of the pack every now and then. With food and a canister it would probably be hitting it all of the time which could get annoying.

The New Balance shoes were great as well. No pinching or rubbing and they probably don't need any more breaking in. They are a lot more airy than what I am used to wearing which makes my feet feel cooler which I guess is the point!

I also had the Montbell Wind Shirt on over the MEC Microlight Merino shirt and once I got going and warmed up it was fine. It wasn't very windy along Dallas Road but it should be fine in the forest trails of the West Coast Trail and JDF Trail. The bright red color did make me feel a little conspicuous though!

I'm going to take it out again a couple of times a week over the next month or so to get used to it. I will also be going camping on the weekend of April 26 and 27 to give everything a more thorough trial.

No comments: