Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Basic Target Archery Setup

My oldest son and I are coming to the end of a set of 6 archery lessons with the Victoria Bowmen Club. We have both joined the club so that he can carry on doing lessons in the club's Junior Olympic Program (JOP). Up until now we have both been using basic wood bows that the club provides for lessons but to carry on we must get our own gear. Since my son will grow out of whatever we purchased him now I wanted to balance the cost against getting him a good setup that now hold him back from shooting well.

Unfortunately, there are only two shops (Island Outfitters and Bucky's in Duncan) that sell archery equipment on Vancouver Island and both of those mainly cater to the hunting side of archery instead of the target side. The are two online stores in Canada, The Bow Shop and The Archer's Nook as well as Lancaster Archery in the US. All of these have a good selection of equipment but their prices are kind of high. The best pricing I have found so far is Alternative Sports Services in the UK. Even with the shipping charges it is still cheaper than the North American stores. When I've order stuff from abroad in the past it has always been hit or miss if I got charged customs duty so we will see what happens with this order.

After some looking around on archery sites and forums we came up with the following setup:

KAP T-Rex 23" riser
KAP T-Rex 66in 22# limbs
Cartel Midas Cushion Pressure Button
Cartel K-Sight
Arco Sport Spigarelli Z/T (Zero Tolerance) Rest
2 Cartel Dacron Fast Strings
Cartel Bowstringer
Cartel Dynamic 501 Quiver
Cartel CR-3 Arm Guard

The only thing left to get are some aluminum arrows and a case. Both of these we should be able to get from the local suppliers without any problems.

As for myself, I'm going to wait awhile and try some club members bows out but I'm currently looking at a KAP Winstar II and Winstorm limbs but it depends on how much I want to spend.

No comments: