Monday, May 19, 2008

West Coast Trail Trip 2008 - Day 5

  • Wake up at 6am after a cold and uncomfortable night. Not sure if it is because my base layer was damp or underpad wasn't positioned correctly or what but I was pretty chilly during the night.
  • Had to get up at one point to tighten the ropes as the hammock had sunk down far enough that I was bumping the log that was under me.
  • Everyone else in camp is up at 6 as well so maybe it wasn't just me!
  • Have a breakfast of oatmeal, pack up and am on the trail by 7:15am
  • Trail is more of the same as yesterday: mud, roots and now rain!
  • Feeling very tired and sore today and can't get up to speed. I have to be very deliberate going around each mud pit today to make sure I don't miss my footing.
  • Glad I didn't try and go to Owen Point. It takes about an hour to get to Beach Access A and another 30 minutes to get to Beach Access B.
  • Even on the boardwalks I can't seem to maintain any speed.
  • Finally get to junction with Trashers Cove at around 11. Immediately the trail starts climbing up a hill.
  • Start running into hikers coming the other way at about KM71. They all look happy and clean even with their gigantic packs on. Must go past about 20 people over the next 2KM.
  • Phone wife to tell her I will be early and to get her to bring a change of socks, shoes and clothes as everything I'm wearing is damp or wet. Feet and socks are especially wet and soles of feet are starting to get sore.
  • The last 2 KM seems to go on and on. It must take me over 90 minutes to finish. Lots of storm damage here and lots of mud. Knees are really hurting but don't want to stop to take anything.
  • Finally reach the beach at KM75 at 2pm, exactly 5 days after I set out! Too tired and sore to feel anything except relief.
  • Rise the buoy to signal the ferry and keep moving to stop right knee from siezing up.
  • Ferry arrives after about 10 minutes and then head over to cabin to sign off the trail.

No comments: